Let’s pick up from last time shall we. Engine and gearbox acquired. Dunno if I mentioned last time, but the ‘box I picked up was from a DC5 Type R (Y2M3) meaning that it has higher ratio/shorter 4th, 5th, and 6th gears.

This link is a handy reference to keep bookmarked: (

I decided not to bust the engine open, and I was definitely not gonna play around with the gearbox, purely because I never have done so before and I’d rather not risk undoing something I shouldn’t.

Also, I felt there was no real need. I bought them both from seemingly reputable sellers, so I took their word for it and just did basic odds and sods.

The image above looks to be that there is something missing when in fact its a blind hole. I assume it is left in the casting for a hole to be drilled for a different K-series application.

Hamza got the privilege of rubba-dubbin’ the gearbox casing which was grimey as they come. Meanwhile, I went over the engine with WD40, using wire brushes or steel wool for the stubborn shite.

I thought I may aswell check this VTEC device out, technically known as the “VTEC Spool Valve Solenoid”. Three 10mm bolts and off it came. Its rubber gasket and mesh was hard and brittle, so there was no way I’d be reusing. The gasket was all in bits, and the mesh filter built into the gasket had done enough duty. OEM part purchased and fitted.

Don’t be me and rip half of the camshaft angle sensor plastic body off when lifting the engine using – as you can see – proper professional expert lifting tackle.

You’re gonna wanna know how fast the engine is spinning, especially up top. B-series gauge cluster for that extra increment on the tacho.

They don’t make ’em like this anymore. Nowadays your car’s vitals’ are displayed on a screen with seven-billion menus. I’d just like the vital vitals, please and thanks.

I’ve never seen the streets get snow plowed around where I live. These should replace the grit lorries, then all our Jap motors won’t flake away as quick as they do on British roads.

Gas heater blower cannon did alright keeping us warm, but once it was off, the not-insulated-at-all garage let all the heat out, and the cold in. Flippin’ noisy too.

OEM throttle body gave me a bit of grief. The two torx bolts holding the TPS sensor in were corroded to the max. I ended up having to drill and extract one of the bolts out, but the other one snapped its head clean off. I had to send it off for spark eroding.

Brand new OEM gaskets for both the TPS and the throttle-to-inlet bought, because I didn’t fancy any vacuum leaks.

Might be worth adding, I also removed the “intake air control valve” (a.k.a. IACV) and gave it a proper spraying with PlusGas to lubricate and release any debris, so that the valve would rotate and not become stuck. Then I hit it with a load of WD40. I’ve heard these valves (attached to throttle body) are troublesome, so I did the precautionary thing.

Cleaned the input shaft of the gearbox with steel wool, as well as the release/throw-out bearing. When spun, the bearing didn’t sound too bad, so I applied a load of lithium grease between the inner race and the O.D. of the shaft, for supreme slipperiness.

Gearbox is cleaner than it was before (damn me for not taking a pic of it in its previous condition). Those specks dotted all over the aluminium casing is the material’s surface oxidising, I think.

Oh yeah, at this point I moved into a larger space on Hamza’s property. The size upgrade was cool, but the fact the roof doesn’t leak (much) in this section is what matters most.

New clutch slave cylinder from Honda because I didn’t have one, and also because OEM is king. I’ve had an aftermarket one shit itself on that NB MX-5 I used to have, so lesson was learnt.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there, check in next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s